Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Photo Display of a Fun Time

It was two hours before it was time to head to the hospital. As we gathered our things that we'd need for the day, I recalled times in the past that a trip on the highway to the hospital was filled with fear and anxiety.

But not today. Not this time. Today was a celebration. It was the annual Holiday Party at the children's hospital where my daughter received her liver transplant. It is a day filled with fun, food, dancing, socializing with the medical team and meeting Santa. It is something my family looks forward to every year. This time it meant a little more to me. As we prepared to leave, I put together a gift bag.Waiting inside the bag, was something I've been working on for years. It was a signed copy of Angel Donor for my daughter's Transplant Team.  

Once at the party, the fun and games began.Instead of medical exams, the children arrived to create their own Santa Hats.  Using foam letters, the kids attached their names to their own Santa hats.


A favorite for my 2 younger ones was the face painting!

There was lots to celebrate. Many children are enjoying a second chance at life. Some are enjoying an oasis away from the chaos of disease. All are enjoying fun family time! 
  
All the kids there looked like they didn't have a care in the world. The kids made new friends, the parents made new friends and a good time was had by all. There was even time for family photos with Santa.

If you are a family who has been struck with a serious childhood disease, what are some ways you and your medical teams have celebrated? With the endless stress during the year, I'd love to hear your happy stories! 

No comments:

Post a Comment